Friday, May 22, 2009

AS TIME GOES BY . . .

Last weekend I had one of those moments which occur in everyone's life...

By means of an ofhand remark by a mutual friend, I was put in contact with a person who was at one time ... long ago and in a galaxy far away...my very best friend in the whole world. Hardly a week would go by that we didnt see each other. We talked about music, the arts, all sorts of topics. We improvised silly little word plays...for example -

Him: "Last week I heard the most marvelous recording of the "Lamentation of David" with that exquisite phrase "Would God I'd died for thee..."
Me: "Ah. But why not a Metal God..."

WATCH IT YOU TWO

Dear God! Dont sneak up on me like that. I am NOT Bill Cosby and that silly midget navigator was the one who wrecked your Ark, anyway...

OH HO! {walks away singing} WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A SHRUNKEN SAILOR..."

We laughed a lot. And drew up rather convoluted and highly improbable organ stoplists...

And then one day it was gone. We had an argument, and it disappeared. And what was the argument about? Damnifiknow anymore...

But this I know: there was a hole in my heart for more than 25 years...

We met on Monday for lunch, and when I walked into his home, it was as if 25 hours had passed, not 25 years, since I last saw him. And when I cried, it was tears of joy...

Everyone needs to have and to be a friend like that...

- - Olivia





The part of God in this narrative was played by . . . God!

No comments:

Post a Comment