Thursday, April 16, 2009

MEMORIES . . .

Next month I pass yet another one of those talked-about milestones of life...I will attend my college reunion... But not just any one: this is a biggie.

The Big Four-Oh . . .

Now I couldnt possibly be that old. Why, it seems like jsut yesterday that David Whatsis was telling...uhhh... Pigball about something or another...

Really, though, I can remember lots of things like they happened just yesterday. Possibly because they DID happen yesterday. Gotta check that... Other things take some thinking to recall. And some things I know must have happened, but I can't recall them at all.

What is the most interesting thing is that the very good things I recall quite easily, and the not-so-niceties are barely there any more. I think it must be a defence mechanism to protect us from remembering the stupid things we did when we were teens, and the illegal things we did in college, and then dying of terminal embarassment.

Or maybe it is just that those things dont matter any more, so we unconsciously let them slip away to make room for new memories to take with us when we cross the bar...

I dont know what goes on when that happens, so I am taking no chances. I am preparing to generate another forty years of music and of writing and of reading and of having good times with my new friends and my old ones... After all, I dont want to come into the next life with memories of bingo and of shuffleboard and of endless days doing nothing...

Maybe that's why some babies cry so much when they are born...



- - Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment